Linux Find Wireless Wifi Driver Chipset Information

Originally published at: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-wireless-driver-chipset/

How do I find out Wireless driver chipset information under a Linux operating system? How do I get wireless card chipeset information without opening my systems or laptop using a Linux? How can I find out which Wi-Fi driver is installed on my Linux laptop? How do I see the information of currently installed WiFi drivers on my Ubuntu or Debian Linux laptop?

Hello. I have been having problems with my wireless connection being cut every few minutes, and I used to think it was my crappy internet provider’s fault, but the other day I noticed I couldn’t access my wireless printer either (I rarely print something, so this detail went for so long unnoticed).
Well, to discover what wireless card is installed in my laptop I followed your instructions on https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-wireless-driver-chipset/ and I’m unsure what the foundings mean, but I think it’s unsettling.
After I typed:
~$ lspci -vv -s 02:00.0

Here’s the output I got:
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)
Subsystem: Lenovo QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 129
Region 0: Memory at b1000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
Kernel modules: ath10k_pci

So… What’s that part about Interruption routed to IRQ about? And why is access denied in the capabilities? And how can I solve the problem of getting my connection interrupted every few minutes?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

That IRQ isn’t what you think. The CPU needs IRQs, which are used by other parts of the system to notify the CPU that they need prompt attention. There are dozens of IRQs in every PC, and each is a specific ‘Interrupt ReQuest’ to the CPU.

Your wifi problem could be that it’s being suspended by the operating system to conserve battery. If this is the case, then you can tell NetworkManager to not power- down the chipset: In Ubuntu systems, edit file /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf and change wifi.powersave = 3 to wifi.powersave = 2.

Linux sysadmin blog - Linux/Unix Howtos and Tutorials - Linux bash shell scripting wiki